Sunday, September 12, 2021

When a First Aid Kit isn't enough !

Jon and I had taken on our usual covid style restricted ride a few weeks back when after crossing the road bridge on Mcalister Rd Monbulk (over Emerald Creek) we were flagged down by a distraught 12 year old. In a panicked voice he asked if we could help his mate who he said was trapped in the creek. Jon and I immediately jumped off our bikes and walked precariously along a row of support rocks to reach the kids trapped friend who by the sound of his yelling was in fair bit of pain. Apparently the kid had been sitting on a large rock on the side of the creeks slope when the rock gave way throwing him into the creek and trapping his ankle under the water. 

We used all of of our years of experience to formulate a plan. Jon while ice skating over the rocks in his cleats and me while trying to work out if the kids well being was enough in danger for me to warrant getting my lovely new KT26ers wet ! 

I beat Jon into the creek (he was still busy inflating his water wings) and immediately did the worse things possible. 1) I attempted to lift the rock without first checking the weight 2) I didnt check where the kids ankle was in case my lifting caused any further injury. 

I found out soon enough though - a) the rock was too heavy to fully lift and b) going by the kids screaming i was lifting the rock the wrong way !  Now committed i was at least able to lift it enough to allow the kid to get his bruised and battered foot out by which time Jon's water wing wings were nearly fully inflated ! 

As a consequence of the events and in consultation with my emergency planing partner (Jon) I have now  decided to review my rescue tools for future use (see below)  ... my only remaining problem is trying to work out how i"m going to sit on the damned bike !      

Before 

After 

                   

1 comment: